An 18 year old Ohio girl died this week after swimming in a lake that was contaminated with a rare but deadly bacteria, Naegleria fowleri. This bacteria is commonly found in warm freshwater. When the bacteria enters the body through the nose and travels to the brain, it is almost always fatal. It has been found in water parks, swimming pools , and warm shallow lakes and rivers, particularly those with slow moving water. In order to avoid contamination, when swimming in such places do not put your face in the water and wear a nose clip.
While Naegleria fowleri is a very rare bacteria, other bacteria have been found contaminating Arizona water sources. In 2012, authorities were forced to shut down Slide Rock, a popular Sedona watering hole. Several splash pads in local outdoor shopping areas have also shut down due to bacterial contaminations.
If you or a family member have been injured as a result of ingesting contaminated water, call us for a free evaluation. We can help yo get the compensation you deserve.
Author: Serena C. Montague
Publication Date: July 6, 2016